Friday, April 20, 2007

Superstition and belief

We have been brought up by our parents in the premise of their beliefs and they made sure that we got their meaning right. Parents never intend wrong; they want the best for their children. Who wouldn’t, rite? After all there is no one in this world who cares us more than our parents.

Would we call it superstition? We were told that we should not cut our nails or hair after the sun set, more specifically stressed as ‘dark’. Now, don’t you think there is no reason why we shouldn’t cut our nails or hairs after the night has set in? Try doing it and nothing happens. No monster sets into your door, no sickness befalls you. But I guess, if as children we did that, we would have harmed ourselves accidentally by either cutting our fingers or someone else’s scalp. When we were kids, we were also told that we shouldn’t throw stones because when we die, we will be made to pick them and put them where they were. Last time, I happened to witness some children playing by the river. Some threw stones in the river and one kid shouted at them not to throw because they would have to pick them and put to place when they are dead. I believed the same and now I’m thinking if it is really right. Don’t call me stupid just because I wondered over them. I feel they had great meanings in the growth of our life. They made us comply with the norms of the fitness of the society. They made us grow with the knowledge that we shouldn’t do what would cause harm on others. What if you threw a stone and it hit someone accidentally?

Many often find what they were as a small kid made to believe foolish. But in reality, we were made to understand things in a simpler manner. Had we no superstitious belief, we would not have grown up to understand the good and the bad.

No comments:

When I was on the Verge of Quitting

I am writing this post one year and one month after my last post. I buried writing as a past hobby, or a habit. I buried my urge to write as...