Thursday, September 25, 2014

A mother’s daily joy

I have not written a letter to my daughter for a long time now but it does not mean that I don’t have my daily joys and laughter with her. Yesterday after office, we went to my cousin’s house where they were making a tshog offering. There, when one of my cousins asked her what she studies at school, she stood in front of her in full attention and sang the ‘ABC song’ to her. Back at home, she played with the marker and the white board. She wrote something and then showed me saying, ‘P’. She had really written a P. She had learned to write ‘A’ quite sometime back and I didn’t consider it too striking (I don’t know why).

Then she also wrote the letter ‘B’. 



I think she is being taught nursery rhymes and how to draw and write. This is probably too early for her. I don’t want her to feel any pressure at all but if she is taking this as some fun thing to do – something like playing with a new toy, that is okay with me. I am still with the view that she should be sent to school only at the age of six. She must have a childhood like I did and she must not feel the pressure of time, schedule, routine and school yet, though, in some ways she already has a different time now – of having to go to a child care centre.



She is more active than many children and it sometimes is difficult but at most times, I feel lucky. Like four days back, we had the most excruciatingly painful and scary moment because she put super glue on her left eye sticking the eyelids together. Hundreds of scary thoughts ran through me and I must tell you, if something happened to her, I would never forgive myself. Having a child like her is in a way an exhilarating journey.

No comments:

This is Bhutan

I moved to Adelaide, South Australia 10 months ago. This decision was driven by my belief that family has to be together and pursuing your c...