Monday, February 4, 2013

I'm Home



When I had to take a very difficult subject in the final semester, I panicked that it might detain my return. When I chose my course, I wanted the duration to be 18 months because I thought two years was too long, and one year was too short. I didn’t want to be away from home too long. I am glad things did go as planned – at least this once. And now, I am home.

I missed my mother. I missed my country. But until the plane descended and I saw Paro Valley, I didn’t realize the intensity of how much I have missed home. I craned my neck and watched out the window, wanting to carve each small detail of the landscape in my mind:  clumps of clouds strewn overhead, the small isolated houses on the hill tops and down in the valley looked heavenly. I thought even the long zig zag footpaths that go to these houses have happy stories to tell.

A chill winter wind welcomed us home as we got out the plane. But I thought, ‘it isn’t as cold as I thought it would be.’ My brother and driver from my office welcomed us. My mother waited in the car. I went straight to her – she sat near the window, her eyes already wet. We hugged and I cried too. I felt an enormous gratitude (to the almighty) for bringing me and my family back home safe.

I am home. Yes, I am home. It is where I belong. No matter where I go, I will come back here. It is where my heart is. 

6 comments:

PaSsuDiary said...

Welcome Home, I felt like I missed you too- seriously!

But was it you whom I saw near 8Eleven two weeks ago? Or you just arrived?

Kuenza said...

I can't believe this. I thought I saw you too...I saw you get in a red car. I looked again to confirm. But by then, you were in the car and couldn't see your face. It was the next day after we arrived.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back home la. :)

Kuenza said...

Thanks Langa.

Kezang Dawa said...

heartily welcome back to BHUTAN,...

Kuenza said...

Thanks Kezang.

When I was on the Verge of Quitting

I am writing this post one year and one month after my last post. I buried writing as a past hobby, or a habit. I buried my urge to write as...